What Is Your Online Reputation?
What Are People Saying About You? Google your company name and see what comes up. Increasingly, people are turning to the internet to find out about a company or local business before they hire them, book an appointment, contract for services or book a reservation. Maintaining a positive online reputation is important in today’s social networking world. As a business owner you know that there is nothing worse than hearing a person posted a poor review of your business on the Internet, or knowing someone is not going to secure your services because of what they read regarding your reputation. It only takes one bad review to deter a number of potential customers.
Take Control of Your Business’s Online Reputation
There are a number of steps to take to ensure your company’s reputation is healthy, including:
- Use social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Social media’s use is increasing. Notice the commercials you see on TV: Many company’s now highlight their Facebook Page instead of their web site. You should have a business page on Facebook and ensure that postings are accurate and up-to-date. Business owners should have a LinkedIn account
- Find reviews and address negative online information posted on the Internet that affect your business and reputation. Stay on top of reviews in Google Places, Yelp, CitySearch, Insider Pages and industry specific directories.
- Improve your company’s search engine ranking. Stave off poor reviews by getting more positive content about your company higher in the search engines. When consumers search about your business in Google, Yahoo or Bing, make sure they find positive, real content about your company. Despite legitimate negative reviews about your company, ensure that searchers also find your positive content so they can make the best determination about doing business with your company while bolstering your positive reputation.
As a business owner you need to take charge of your online reputation. True Marketing Strategies can help you with the search engine optimization steps listed above. There are steps a company can make on their own to ensure a healthy reputation.
Reputation Management: Steps Businesses Can Make on Their Own
- Blog. Blogging is important – it helps your clients and potential clients learn about your business, the state of your industry, new goings on at your company or about any special promotions and local newsworthy items.
- Respond to negative posts. When responding to negative posts do not be reactive. Be respectful of the person’s review and respond with factual information. This show’s potential new customers how you handle your criticism.
- Be up-front and honest about your business. Do not mislead potential clients.
- Comply with CAN SPAM ACT. Don’t send people unsolicited emails. If someone doesn’t want to receive emails from you provide information on how they can opt out or be removed from your marketing lists.
Your online reputation management is important. Don’t lose potential customers to your competitors because of a bad review that they found on the internet. As a business owner you can take important steps to maintain and/or improve your online reputation.